Dead, 150 Injured After Violent Clashes Between Forces And Islamist Protesters

Dead, 150 Injured After Violent Clashes Between Forces And Islamist Protesters

A Pakistani police officer aims his gun towards the protesters next to a burning police vehicle during a clash in Islamabad on November 25, 2017.

A statutory regulatory order (SRO) authorising the deployment of the Pakistan Army in Islamabad by Ministry of Interior on Saturday evening was verified as true. Reports say scores of protesters and police personnel have been injured in the clashes.

Clashes immediately broke out between members of Tehreek-e-Labaik, a hard-line Islamist party, and some 4,000 police sent to break up the protest camp, police official Saood Tirmizi told Reuters.

Protesters have started gathering at the Faizabad Interchange in Islamabad again following the government's suspension of its crackdown against them, launched Saturday morning.

The first error which was identified in the SRO was the serial number, which ended with 2013, which points towards the year of issue.

Dawn and Geo News reported that there are prison vans, ambulances at the site.

The security forces could not arrest the sit-in leadership including Khadim Hussain Rizvi till now. The protesters have surrounded leadership and stopping police and Rangers. Helicopters and drones are being used by the authorities for aerial surveillance.

According to the PM's office, he had issued the directives on the request of the Islamabad administration, which said the live coverage was compromising the operation against religious protesters.

Ahsan Iqbal said the demand of the protesters about the resignation of the law minister was unfair.

In Lahore, protesters gathered in more than 30 locations, said Kiran Nazish, a local journalist. Social media networks including Facebook, Twitter and YouTube were also blocked in various parts of the country. Severe traffic jams, closed schools, suffering businesses all were the cons of this protest.

Ahsan Iqbal said that protesters had been holding Twin Cities of Islamabad and Rawalpindi hostage for last 20 days, adding that few elements were misleading innocent minds. Gen. Asif Ghafoor, head of Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), the army's media wing, said that Gen. Qamar Javed Bajwa telephoned Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi and suggested that the sit-in be resolved peacefully.

News media also reported protesters breaking into the house of former interior minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan.

Related Articles