Sunjwan attack updates: Soldier, injured in Jammu terror attack, dies

Sunjwan attack updates: Soldier, injured in Jammu terror attack, dies

The Sunjwan Army camp located in the vicinity of Jammu city was attacked by three Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) terrorists in the wee hours of Saturday.

The two nuclear-armed neighbours have been at loggerheads since an attack on an army camp in Kashmir's Uri left 18 Indian soldiers dead in 2016. Mr Veeri said that Subedar Maganlal and Subedar Mohammed Ashraf were killed in the attack, as per initial reports.

The Sunjuwan military station had been attacked once earlier on June 28, 2003 when two Lashkar-e-Toiba suicide attackers stormed the camp killing 12 soldiers and injuring seven others.

After the fidayeen strike on Pathankot, Uri and Nagrota Army camps, the periphery security was beefed up.

Soon after the attack, reinforcements of the Army s special forces and SOG rushed to the spot and cordoned off the whole area amid a fierce gunfight, security official said. Assembly speaker Kavinder Gupta said that the number of Rohingya Muslims and Bangladeshis living in the area was increasing and it counted as a security threat. Since terrorists are holed up inside the family quarters, we are moving very cautiously. Around 500 meters around the camp have been sealed.

Congress communications in-charge Randeep Surjewala said it was a matter of deep concern that 14 major terror attacks have taken place on the Army in Jammu and Kashmir since 2014, after the NDA government came to power.

Chief minister Mehbooba Muft expressed anguish over the militant attack and the loss of life. The six injured included army wives and daughters.

A red alert has been issued in entire Jammu after the attack. The three attackers who penetrated the headquarters of the 182 Battalion of Border Security Force were part of a batch of 17 militants who had infiltrated the Kashmir Valley in the midsummer 2017 and established bases in south Kashmir.

The latest reports coming from Jammu is that third militant has been killed, taking death toll to five.

Related Articles